Items to Pack
“Home Away from Home” Items
- Photo Identification (high school ID, driver’s license, passport, etc.) You will need to present photo identification during move-in.
- Medical insurance I.D. card
- Comforter/pillow/sheets (size: twin, extra long) If you are traveling long distances and are unable to pack a comforter, pillow, and sheet, there are basic linen packs available.
- Towels/washcloths/shower shoes (flip-flops/sandals)
- Clothes hangers
- Fan(s)— there is no air conditioning in the residence hall except for the main lounge area
- Laundry supplies (laundry detergent, dryer sheets, and quarters for the machines)
- Personal spending money (we strongly encourage you NOT to keep large amounts of cash in your room. There is an ATM in the residence hall, as well as banks and other ATMs on/near campus). We encourage students to have pre-paid Visa/Mastercards as not all vendors accept debit cards.
All supplies and textbooks are the responsibility of the student. Students should consider bringing the following:
- Stapler, staples, and paper clips
- Paper and/or notebooks
- Calculator (if applicable to your program of study)
Basic academic supplies can also be purchased at the Syracuse University Bookstore.
- Laptop computer: there are computer labs on campus, but most students prefer having their own laptop
- Surge Protector/Power Strip (12 gauge, grounded): REQUIRED if charging a laptap in a dorm room
- Basket to carry toiletries to and from the bathroom
- Backrest/ Lapdesk for studying/reading in bed
- Business-casual clothing for guest speakers, admission’s interviews, or more formal program events
- Snacks! (Food is a great conversation starter according to our students!)
Please ensure to view your program page for program requirements as other items may be required.
Do NOT Bring the Following Items
Please note that room checks are done of each residence hall room by residence hall staff without prior notification. The following items are prohibited:
- Pets or Animals
- Extension Cords – only surge protectors and power strips are permitted
- Motor Vehicles – Residential Summer College students are not allowed to bring a vehicle.
- Televisions – Permitted, but not recommended. TVs are available in lounge areas.
- Appliances – you may rent a MicroFridge for your room through the University Bookstore
- Halogen Lamps
- Candles – Open flames are not permitted in the residence halls.
- Vapes, Cigarettes, E-Cigs or Juuls – These are not permitted in the residence halls or on campus.