Syracuse is located in the heart of central New York State. It has a metropolitan population of approximately 663,000 and is the economic and education hub of the region. People in the region are helpful and accustomed to interacting with the large number of international and visiting students who make their home at Syracuse University.
Arriving to Syracuse
Before you arrive, please visit the Welcome Weekend and Move-In page for a full list of recommended items to bring to Summer College and the hours of your orientations and move in.
Students will be emailed a map of campus, directions to the residence hall, any road closures and a move-in pass (residential students only) approximately 2-3 weeks prior to the move-in date. Please review the Orientation Schedule for your particular program’s move-in date for information on when to arrive to campus.
Driving to Campus
Are your parents driving you directly to campus? Great! Summer College Staff and Resident Advisors will be there to greet you.
Follow these steps:
- Don’t forget to print and bring your Move In Pass that corresponds to your move-in day:
- Move In Pass 1: Saturday, June 29, 2019 Coming soon!
- Move-In Pass 2: Saturday, July 13, 2019 Coming soon!
- Move-In Pass 3: Saturday, July 27, 2019 Coming soon!
- Place the MANDATORY Move-In Pass on the dashboard of your vehicle on your move-in day.
Directions to the Residence Hall
The closest airport to Syracuse University is the Syracuse Hancock International Airport (SYR). When making travel accommodations, it is recommended that you utilize this airport. Note, that this is the only airport that Summer College has a shuttle service to. View Shuttle Information.
Facts about Syracuse Hancock International Airport:
- 15-20 minutes from campus
- Small, regional airport
- One main entrance between two terminals
- South Terminal A
- North Terminal B
- The two terminals are at opposite ends of one long building. Each terminal has baggage carousels and exits to separate pickup areas and taxi stands.
- Currently, the airport is undergoing major renovations. Follow all detours to the pickup areas.
Taking a Bus or Train
If taking a bus or train to Syracuse, the closest station is the William F. Walsh Regional Transportation Center (RTC). Note, this is the only bus and train center that Summer College has a shuttle service to. View Shuttle Information.
Facts about the Regional Transportation Center:
- Approximately 15 minutes from campus
- RTC is a small regional transportation center providing both train and bus service.
- There is one main entrance with two sets of doors.
More information coming soon!
Summer College provides shuttle transfers from the Syracuse airport (SYR) and the Regional Transportation Center (RTC).
You must indicate in your Arrival Form that you will need a shuttle and you will be emailed your shuttle time approximately five days before your move-in date.
Hotels & Lodging
Some families may want to spend a weekend on campus while moving their students in or visit with students through the duration of the program.
The Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel and Conference Center is the only hotel affiliated with Syracuse University. For reservations, visit their site or call 800.395.2105.
A number of hotels are within walking distance of campus, with many others only short drives from the University. For a complete list, visit the Syracuse Convention and Visitors Bureau. To view hotels close to campus, select “Syracuse University” or “Downtown” as the location in the Regions menu.