EducationUSA Academy at Syracuse University offers the ultimate American college experience for international high school students. Immerse yourself in the English language and culture while you live on the campus of Syracuse University, one of the top 100 Universities in the U.S.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 15, 2018
Syracuse University Summer College, in partnership with World Learning and the U.S. Department of State’s EducationUSA network, is pleased to offer multiple 2-week program options, allowing each student to tailor a 2, 4 or 6 week experience to match their interests.
- Up to 30 hours per week of academic-focused instruction in one of the following themes:
- Art & Design
- Computer Science & Information Technology
- Visits to a variety of U.S. college campuses in Upstate New York
- Workshops and opportunities about navigating the college admissions process
- Explore local cultural institutions, tourist destinations, and recreation venues
This program is offered in partnership with World Learning and the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational & Cultural Affairs.
Academy participants live in a residence hall with roommates and floormates from across the United States (typically from more than 30 U.S. states), not to mention approximately 15 countries. In addition to daily programming coordinated through our Office of Residence Life—and alongside high school students enrolled in other Summer College programs—students have the opportunity to explore local cultural institutions, art and science museums, and state parks; participate in service activities and local cultural events; and travel to tourist destinations such as a regional waterpark and Niagara Falls.
Summer is a great time for international high school students to come to Syracuse University. Established in 1870 in central New York State, the beautiful campus can be reached by air in less than an hour from (JFK) in New York City, two hours from (ORD) Chicago, or four and a half hours from (MIA) Miami.
Program Costs: Varies by theme and number of 2 week sessions selected
Eligibility and Admissions Criteria:
EducationUSA Academy at Syracuse University is designed for mature and self-disciplined students who are a minimum of 15 years of age with a commitment to active participation in the Academy and its programming, as well as at least 3 years of middle to high school English.
This program is offered in partnership with World Learning and the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
The EducationUSA Academy application procedure asks students to complete the application through SlideRoom, and supply:
- A brief statement explaining the applicant’s interest in the EducationUSA Academy at Syracuse University, and what the student hopes to gain from her/his summer experience.
- A recommendation letter from either a high school English teacher, counselor, or a Binational Center English teacher that addresses the applicant’s potential for success in EducationUSA Academy as well as the applicant’s English proficiency (NOTE: the letter will be submitted directly to Syracuse University Summer College.) English proficiency should be measured according to the Common European Framework (CEF).
- Regarding English proficiency, students should at least be at the level of C1 according to the CEF.
- A high school transcript supplemented with a copy of the most recent report card. These documents may be official or unofficial, and should at least include a year’s worth of grades. In particular, we are interested in information about completion of English language courses.
How to Apply
- The EducationUSA Academy online application is hosted in association with Summer at Syracuse. It can be found at https://summeratsyracuse.slideroom.com/
- An account must be created. Please use the name of the student when creating the account and provide an email address that is checked regularly as this will be the primary mode of communication.
- After you establish your account, you will be required to click on the link in a confirmation e-mail sent to you by SlideRoom.
- Once you login, click on “Start a New Submission.”
- On the left, and under “Category,” select “EducationUSA Academy at Syracuse University.”
- Select the EducationUSA Academy application and continue through the application steps.