APPLICATION DEADLINE April 15, 2017
Orientation and move-in is on Saturday, July 1. The last day of classes is Friday, July 28. Students should plan to arrive in Syracuse no earlier than 6:00 p.m. EST on Friday, June 30, and depart on Friday, July 28 after 4p.m. or Saturday, July 29 by 9a.m.
Download a flyer in Chinese, Portuguese, or Spanish for more information!
Syracuse University Summer College, in partnership with World Learning and the U.S. Department of State’s EducationUSA network, is pleased to offer a 4-week EducationUSA Academy. The Academy is comprised of more than 20 hours per week of intensive English classes and language instruction provided by our English Language Institute; college preparatory programming integrated into both the English language instruction and multiple workshops; and numerous campus visits to a variety of higher education institutions (e.g. small liberal arts colleges, a comprehensive college, a two-year community college, a state university, and an Ivy-league institution). Forums also give students the knowledge necessary to negotiate both academic and student affairs in an American college/university.
The intensive English component incorporates academic study techniques while assisting students in developing their English receptive (listening and reading) and productive skills (speaking and writing). The instructors are master’s prepared, experienced high school ESL teachers; consequently, they are very familiar with the age group. They provide a variety of activities and assignments in the classroom to fully engage the students while focusing on academic English. Instructors work with students to develop a personal statement as required for college applications and help students to build their own portfolios. The course culminates with a poster project. While the course is graded “pass/fail,” students receive a Certificate of Completion, as well as a progress report narrative documenting their growth at the end of the program.
It is expected that students fall into two proficiency groups:
- low-intermediate-intermediate and
- high intermediate-advanced and will be placed accordingly.
Themes forge connections between the intensive English classes and activities outside the classroom, e.g., visits to museums, landmarks, and colleges. Instruction also includes practice with TOEFL exams and the new 2016 SAT reading and writing components. In response to the new SAT essay format, there will be more practice of the skills required for discourse analysis/critique are included.
Academy participants live in a residence hall with roommates and floormates who hail from across the United States (typically from more than 30 U.S. states), not to mention approximately 15 countries. In addition to daily programming coordinated through our Office of Residence Life—and alongside high school students enrolled in other Summer College programs—students have the opportunity to explore local cultural institutions, art and science museums, and state parks; participate in service activities and local cultural events; and travel to tourist destinations such as a regional waterpark and Niagara Falls.
Summer is a great time for international high school students to come to Syracuse University. Established in 1870 in central New York State, the beautiful campus can be reached by air in less than an hour from (JFK) in New York City, two hours from (ORD) Chicago, or four and a half hours from (MIA) Miami.
Learn more about our English Language Institute.
- Residential: $5,190. Cost includes: program and activity fees; room and board; books and course materials; admission and transportation for college visits and cultural activities; airport transfer from, and return to, Syracuse Hancock International Airport (SYR); and required health insurance. NOTE: While health insurance is included in the program costs, students must individually enroll through Cultural Insurance Services International.
Eligibility and Admissions Criteria:
EducationUSA Academy at Syracuse University is designed for mature and self-disciplined students who are a minimum of 15 years of age with a commitment to active participation in the Academy and its programming, as well as at least 3 years of middle to high school English.
This program is offered in partnership with World Learning and the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
The EducationUSA Academy application procedure asks students to complete the application through SlideRoom, and supply:
- A brief statement explaining the applicant’s interest in the EducationUSA Academy at Syracuse University, and what the student hopes to gain from her/his summer experience.
- A recommendation letter from either a high school English teacher, counselor, or a Binational Center English teacher that addresses the applicant’s potential for success in EducationUSA Academy as well as the applicant’s English proficiency (NOTE: the letter will be submitted directly to Syracuse University Summer College.) English proficiency should be measured according to the Common European Framework (CEF).
- Regarding English proficiency, students should at least be at the level of B1 according to the CEF.
- A high school transcript supplemented with a copy of the most recent report card. These documents may be official or unofficial, and should at least include a year’s worth of grades. In particular, we are interested in information about completion of English language courses.
How to Apply
- The EducationUSA Academy online application is hosted in association with Summer at Syracuse. It can be found at https://summeratsyracuse.slideroom.com/
- An account must be created. Please use the name of the student when creating the account and provide an email address that is checked regularly as this will be the primary mode of communication.
- After you establish your account, you will be required to click on the link in a confirmation e-mail sent to you by SlideRoom.
- Once you login, click on “Start a New Submission.”
- On the left, and under “Category,” select “EducationUSA Academy at Syracuse University.”
- Select the EducationUSA Academy application and continue through the application steps.